Overall Review for Grade 6:
- This lesson is a review of 5th grade with more detail.
- Healthy introduction to abstinence as not being sexually active until marriage.
- Healthy definitions of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Identifies puberty begins for girls aged 10-12 and boys 12-14 so subject matter may be received prematurely for boys
- Appreciate the Workbook’s “Can you tell the difference exercise on Sexual Harassment/abuse”
- There may be some reservations as to how the subject matter on Day 2 regarding abuse, gender role stereotyping, and STD’s topics are actually presented and discussed by the teacher.
- For the sex trafficking topic, the teacher reads a true story about an 11 year old named Taylor (gender is not revealed) who is scouted, manipulated, and trapped (blackmailed). It is a very intense story involving sexual grooming (including the use of pornography), child molestation, and multiple abusers (a friend’s father and another man). Parents should proceed with extreme caution. Some children may be traumatized by listening to this story.
- The Flirting or Hurting DVD communicates the importance of personal boundaries and respect as well as the detrimental effects of sexual harassment. Students are encouraged to pay attention to verbal and non-verbal cues. Social media implications are discussed. Students are instructed to document any sexual harassment and report it to trusted adults.
- Lesson 1 Boys PowerPoint Presentation
- Lesson 1 Girls PowerPoint Presentation
- Lesson 2 (Boys and Girls Together) PowerPoint Presentation
- Just Ask Prevention Project: Middle School EPI Curriculum – Teen Trafficking, Abuse, and Neglect [Draft]
- 6th Grade FLE Student Workbook
- Flirting or Hurting DVD